- Chapter 1 — Getting Started
- Chapter 2 — Installing WordPress
- Chapter 3 — Publishing Your First Article
- Chapter 4 — Making Your Articles Pretty
- Chapter 5 — Igniting Your Articles
- Chapter 6 — Optimizing Your Article
- Chapter 7 — Social Media
- Chapter 8 — Enhancing Your Blog with Plugins
- Chapter 9 — Monetize Your Blog: Google Adsense
- Chapter 10 — Monetize Your Blog: Text Link Ads
- Chapter 11 — Monetize Your Blog: Kontera [reading now]
- Chapter 12 — Stick to the Formula
Ready for another way to generate revenue for your blog? There are tons! But the ones we’ve discussed in this book, will be just the launching pad you need to reach that $100 a month.
And as we discussed: diversify, diversify, and diversify some more. A lot of new bloggers are squeamish about placing too many ads on their site, but I say don’t worry about it. If you’re providing super quality content and pouring your heart out with your passion, then everyone wins. You are writing about what you love and making money!
And the readers are learning all about your passion (which is most likely their passion as well, right?). You deserve to get paid, so always be on the lookout for new revenue streams. Like a stock, if one dips another may rise, that’s why it’s so important to never rely on a single revenue stream.
Let’s talk about Kontera today.
Setting up Kontera Links on Your Blog
Kontera is pretty neat, because it’s a mix between Adsense and TLA. Their system, once installed, will constantly read each of your articles and dynamically make links (hyperlinks) out of words by placing a unique double link under the word.
When the reader scrolls over the word, what is called an “ad layer” appears, presenting a relevant mini-window advertisement (based upon the word). The reader can now view the product or service, then decide to click to access the page. Each time they do, you earn money.
Kontera has never been my largest earner, but this service alone, with the right amount of quality content, could realistically account for 20-35% of reaching the $100 dollar a month mark, within the first year. You get the idea, here?
You may earn $50 from Google Adsense, $35 from Kontera, and another $40 from TLA, allowing you to break through the $100 a month goal! If Kontera isn’t doing too hot for you one month, maybe you’ll make $150 alone from Adsense. It’s all about hedging your bets by using various ad networks.
I’ve seen too many bloggers lose everything buy just relying on Adsense, when Google decided to change their code and totally disrupted their business. Don’t be one of those bloggers. The ideas here is “trickling” effect. A little from each, to start. And as your blog matures, it’ll gain momentum and you’ll be making a lot from each.
- Head on over to Kontera and register for a publishers account.
- Get your “Kontera Tag” (plugin) by selecting “Wordpress” and download their plugin. Make sure to copy your “Publisher ID,” you’ll need it.
- Download, install, and activate the Kontera plugin. Refer to Chapter 8 if you need help installing a plugin.
- Go to the Kontera plugin settings page and paste in your “Publisher ID.” Optionally, you can alter the color of how the links will appear. Stick with some shade of dark blue, if you’re going to change it.
- I recommend you enable the ads to display “only on posts” (articles) for now. Now press save and that’s it. Simple as cake!
If you ever want to disable Kontera ads from any particular article, you’ll notice a Kontera settings tab above the right column in your WordPress article editor. You can uncheck the box to disable ads (…but you’d be losing money, so don’t do that!).
Here’s an example of how Kontera actually works: The reader will click or mouse-over the link, then a small window with an advertisement will automatically appear, displaying a relevant ad. The reader can then click-through to view the product.
This completes our blog monetization techniques. If you follow the advice and build a strong foundation with high quality articles, with the addition of these three—Adsense, TLA, and Kontera—money generating tools, you’ll reach your $100 a month mark within a year on the long side, but realistically, you could hit this mark within 6 months with devotion, dedication, and persistence. You have to really want it!
The Internet is a tricky business. It rewards those that are persistent and have a passion to share with the world. In the next chapter, we’ll conclude this book and make sure that you’re well prepared to reaching your $100 a month mark.
Congrats for making it this far. If you made it to this paragraph without skipping any, and have done everything you’ve learned in each, I have no doubt in my mind that you’re going to be successful online. Mucho Respecto!
Read some related articles:
- WordPress Zen: How to Make $100 bucks a Month by Writing About Your Passion (Chapter 10) Table of contents: Chapter 1 — Getting Started Chapter 2 — Installing WordPress Chapter 3 — Publishing Your First Article Chapter 4 — Making Your...
- WordPress Zen: How to Make $100 bucks a Month by Writing About Your Passion (Chapter 9) Table of contents: Chapter 1 — Getting Started Chapter 2 — Installing WordPress Chapter 3 — Publishing Your First Article Chapter 4 — Making Your...
- WordPress Zen: How to Make $100 bucks a Month by Writing About Your Passion (Chapter 5) Table of contents: Chapter 1 — Getting Started Chapter 2 — Installing WordPress Chapter 3 — Publishing Your First Article Chapter 4 — Making Your...
- WordPress Zen: How to Make $100 bucks a Month by Writing About Your Passion (Chapter 7) Table of contents: Chapter 1 — Getting Started Chapter 2 — Installing WordPress Chapter 3 — Publishing Your First Article Chapter 4 — Making Your...