Getting through the work day on high power is a work habit that’s more common than not. From the espresso concoction from Starbucks to the green tea from the organic coffeehouse, there are plenty of ways to get the daily buzz. Today’s newest caffeine-infused products even include gum, chocolate, and caffeinated water. But could caffeine be getting in the way of your natural productivity?
Caffeine has long been used as a central nervous stimulant to provide mental focus, increased energy, and a convenient rush when you need it. However, many people are touting the benefits of a caffeine-free lifestyle, claiming that caffeine is counter-productive to thinking clearly, making us anxious, jittery, and contributing to our stress levels. But are we ready to forego that cup of java each day?
According to health researchers and physicians, caffeine is a major contributor of many health conditions and disease such as:
- Severe stress
- Mood disorders
- Headaches and migraines
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Indigestion and upset stomachs
- Acid reflux and GERD
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Interstitial Cystisis
An increased heart rate and high blood pressure can also lead to increased stress; if you’re already experiencing a significant amount of stress in your life, caffeine might worsen the problem. Extreme anxiety can also be counter-productive; think about how difficult it is to focus if you’re constantly in fight-or-flight mode. Excessive caffeine also interferes with sleep and natural resting patterns. Sleep problems and mood disturbances can take a toll on your daily productivity, making it difficult to focus and even get up in the morning. Without a healthy sleep schedule, you can become irritable, anxious, and find it difficult to concentrate.
The coffee buzz that keeps you running on all eight cylinders may be great for your to-do list, but chances are it’s taking its toll on your health. Reducing the amount of caffeine in your diet might just offer some valuable benefits for both your brain and your body.
Have you kicked the coffee habit? Share your ideas and suggestions below:
Read some related articles:
- Entrepreneurs Live Longer! Is your corporate job keeping you overweight? When I started my first company back in 2001, I never thought that it would help me get...
- Are You A Coffee or Tea Entrepreneur? Whatís your drink of choice? When it comes to coffee and tea itís not a hard decision for me. Tea is my drink of choice....
- Top 10 Free Website Promotion Sources There is nothing more crucial to successfully bootstrapping your business than free marketing. This is my personal check list for every website I start. Not...
- Move your workspace, Increase productivity Itís amazing what happens when you change your workspace. I always took that idea with a grain of salt. After all, if you work hard...